The Rifton Activity Chair prescribed for Belinda is a pretty special chair. Following two years of therapist-guided design, the result is the most easily adjusted, versatile and therapist-friendly special needs chair on the market.
There are lots of benefits for both Belinda and her mum:
- No tools are needed for any adjustment
- It can be easily adjusted while Belinda is in the chair
- The tilt–in–space feature allows varying degrees of recline for safe swallowing
- Springs allow for a self-calming movement
- The armrests can be height and angle-adjusted. The forearm prompts are extremely versatile in adjustment to facilitate trunk and head control while sitting
- The chair features a foot pump for height adjustment. This allows Belinda to be lowered until her feet are on the floor, or raised to sit comfortably at 32″ high table. The chair’s height can also be easily set for lateral transfers.
- The contoured headrest supports the head and keeps it in proper alignment for safe swallowing.
This chair is absolutely necessary to offer Belinda adequate postural control and good positioning during meal times instead of being propped up on her mum’s knee as is the case at the moment.
But, in addition to meal times, the Activity Chair has a multitude of other uses.
Belinda is fully wheelchair dependent and the chair can be used not only at home but at school too – enabling her to sit independently to enjoy table top activities wherever she may be. Belinda attends Croydon Special Development School full-time.
Can you imagine how it will feel for Belinda to be so much more independent? To not have to rely on her mum supporting her at the table? Meal times will actually become the social events that they should be rather than the nightmare that they currently are.
Please help us to fund this chair for Belinda – both we and Belinda will never be able to thank you enough.
To donate to Belinda’s Appeal visit her Appeal Page